There are many reasons why we crave and indulge in carbohydrates. Besides our evolution to “seek out” sweet foods, we are now living in a hyper-stimulatory, obesogenic environment.
We’re not saying all carbs are bad, in fact plant-based whole carb in fruits and vegetables have vital nutrients. It’s all about food quality.
Here are symptoms (signs from your body) when your blood sugar levels are becoming too high:
- Headache and other aches and pains
- Weight gain
- Difficulty concentrating
- Increased thirst or hunger
- Feeling drowsy or tired
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Bloating and digestive issues
- Frequent urination
- Slower wound healing
- Skin issues
- Hormone imbalance
Over time, the body's organs and systems can be harmed by high blood sugar. Blood vessels become damaged, and this can lead to complications, including:
- Heart attack or stroke
- Type 2 diabetes
- Damage to the eye and loss of vision
- Kidney disease or failure
- Nerve problems in the skin, especially the feet, leading to sores, infections, and wound healing problems
Reducing carbohydrates to low levels, for instance following a keto diet, causes the body to consume fat for fuel, and will help you burn fat among many other health benefits. The key is to keep your sugar levels low.